Advice for HMO Landlords in Liverpool: Should I Include Bills in My HMO Rental Agreements?
If you’re a HMO landlord in Liverpool, you may have heard recent news reports that tenants are increasingly seeking properties to rent that have all-inclusive bills.
With that in mind, you may be wondering; should I include bills in my HMO rental agreements?
All-inclusive rental agreements offer both rent and utility bills in a single monthly payment. Student accommodation is already typically offering this type of agreement, and now the trend is spreading to student HMOs as well as professional HMOs nationwide.
So, if you’re looking for a way to attract more tenants to your Liverpool HMO, including bills could be an option.
Managing your tenants’ utility bills provides a surprising number of advantages, not only for your tenants but for you too. To help you, our team at Portus Lets Ltd have put together a list of the potential benefits to help you weigh up the pros and cons.
Why Should I Offer All-Inclusive Bills in HMO Rental Agreements?
All-inclusive bill arrangements for HMO tenants will typically include electricity, gas, and water bundled into the same monthly rental price. Sometimes, TV licensing, council tax, and internet are also included.
The responsibility for making utility and other household payments is the person whose name is found on the bill, and that can present a challenge when it comes to HMO properties because multiple tenants are involved. Bill payment can be a cause of disputes among tenants, so if you deal with this aspect as their landlord, you will reduce the pressure on them to deal with complicated billing situations.
All-inclusive billing also reduces hassle and saves time for tenants. With a set amount to pay each month, it makes it easier for tenants to work out how much they’ll be spending and makes budgeting simpler. As the cost of living is rising, more tenants than ever are keen to move into a property with all inclusive bills so they can have a clearly defined monthly budget.
What To Consider When Including Bills in an HMO Tenancy Agreement
If you’re thinking about offering all-inclusive bills at your HMO property in Liverpool, there are several options to consider. Here are a few of the key points to bear in mind to help you make the most of your switch to all inclusive:
- Include a cap for fair usage in every tenancy agreement and inform your tenants of all their responsibilities regarding safe usage at the time of moving in.
- Consider regularly switching your utility suppliers to benefit from the best offers and rates.
- Including Netflix, Sky, BT, or Virgin TV in your rental costs may help to attract more tenants to your property.
- Take action to ensure your HMO property’s energy usage is as low as possible from the outset.
- Replace all lightbulbs with energy saving alternatives.
- Put a reflector panel behind every radiator.
- Fix any dripping taps.
- Draught-proof all doors, windows, and loft hatches.
- Make sure that hot water tanks and lofts are fully insulated.
- Consider replacing single-glazed doors or windows with double glazing to reduce energy bills significantly.
If you’re wondering whether to switch to an all-inclusive HMO billing arrangement, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team at Portus Lets Ltd. As experts in the Liverpool HMO market, we can offer you the advice and information you need. If you’re looking for an experienced HMO property management team, we’re at your service. Call us on 0151 329 3538 or drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.